New player.

After seeing the small sale on steam, I picked the game up at the weekend, on saturday morning. 
I then proceeded to mess about, building lots of random stuff and just trying to learn some stuff and following the guided plan a bit. 
Basics are sort of in place now, and looking to try a proper work through over the coming week ahead. 
I seem to have got a vague feel for mining, but cannot work out how you get crew to go to the derelict ship. Is that something that pops up later? 
Crew interface seems to be my biggest hardship atm, there is a lot going on there to work out. 
Supplys are my other issue... Trying to work out what i have, and how i can get more is not jumping out at me just yet. 
Enjoying myself so far, and looking forward to actually working out a working starter ship to explore a little more.

The Wiki page is a good resource: http://bugbyte.fi/spacehaven/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

To explore derelict ships, you need to draft crew and a shuttle. Shuttles ferry around crew and resources between ships. You can construct a new shuttle in an empty shuttle bay.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2020, 09:05 AM by Viscera.)

Managed to get a handle on it by watching a set of videos on you tube by Rhadamant. They showed a good basic run through of playing the game from the off, and allowed me to see what i had missed in my fumblings.

Am now exploring some of the things i can do, and trying to work on my ergonomics of ship building....i am sure i need to lessen that ingrained symetry requirement lurking inside me, and go more organic ...

(07-01-2020, 07:49 AM)Viscera Wrote: Managed to get a handle on it by watching a set of videos on you tube by Rhadamant. They showed a good basic run through of playing the game from the off, and allowed me to see what i had missed in my fumblings.

Am now exploring some of the things i can do, and trying to work on my ergonomics of ship building....i am sure i need to lessen  that ingrained symetry requirement lurking inside me, and go more organic ...
lol, yeah, aesthetics are definitely not on the list of things to take care of at first.  Only expand when you need to, you've got plenty of space to blob in all directions, and symmetry doesn't affect the ship's functions in any way except logistics.  After getting on the move and establishing a supply chain you can go back and refine the ship according to tastes.
People may have to sleep on the floor for a few nights.

When I started, this was all a wall of stuff to learn, but as I learned what each object is for it got intuitive.  I'd say industry is the most convoluted system on a ship.  If you can get by with trading for tech and energy blocks from other ships, I say go for it.

Well my first play through has ended with disaster. I ran out of power rods and managed to lose all my crew waiting and hoping a ship may appear to trade with.

A good lesson in resource management, and truly the best teacher.

My second ship is now running along nicely, but i am now thinking i have over streetched myself on build resources, and clearly missed a couple of important industrial items in the build.

Resource management is clearly something very important to get a handle on. As is not running at full speed to often.

Still, learning much and the team are making good headway in ship design.

Mine are some odd shapes, but seem to work on the whole. Just need to plan those areas out a little better for ease of use for the crews legs... Poor buggers are run ragged occassionally..