The past 2-3 weeks have been filled with adding some effects to the game engine and testing them. We have spent time on creating a simple shooting mechanism for the characters, along with some light effects, fire effects and smoke effect. Below is a list of some notes from the past 3 weeks:
- Testing lighting effects, optimizing lighting to look good with the tile-based system.
- Creating rubble and impact effects, destroying objects.
- Creating muzzle flash and lighting effects for turrets and weapons.
- Thinking about how fire could be implemented.
- Creating destructible walls on buildings.
- Created explosion on impact when particle hits.
- Created smoke effect using an old-school trick to optimize performance.
- Fixed bugs in our game editor.
- Creating fire.
- A bit more time spent on the smoke effect.
- Our intern is drawing some characters, don't know what kind we need yet as the game idea is till very open.
- Focusing on creating the tech and game engine, drawing inspiration from features we stumble upon in the process.
- Adding a oxygen feature. Fire will take out the oxygen and when it ends the fire will end.
- Creating a soldier and Engineer class character.
- Still thinking about the overall game idea.
- Found some new information about existing games. Trying to come up with a way to stand out.
- Hoping the upcoming 2 weeks vacation starting 20th of June will give some clarity. First vacation in 4 years.
- If we fail badly with this game we will be in a lot of trouble again.
- Realizing that such is the game industry and being a game developer.
- Will continue work again beginning of July.
- Discussing some more about the game.
- Is it on an alien planet, a space station somewhere in space?
- Thinking prototyping a small base and some battle could be a good idea! Perhaps this will lead us onto something new and interesting.
If you are not yet registered to our community: