Thank you letter from us here at Bugbyte

Don't let the negative comments outweigh the good! Remember that people are more likely to complain than praise AND it takes 7 positive comments to balance out a single negative one psychologically. Which can make development tough, but you all are doing great.

Also remember that balancing for these games is both key and VERY difficult. This is why big titles often soft launch for months (even years) to tweak such things (and also tweak the F2P stuff).

And now that you have a game engine you an build on it for future games. Don't be afraid to charge again for a future ver 2 of the game (after a reasonable amount of time and updates on ver 1 of course Wink

I've enjoyed the game myself. And while there are some polish issues at times, there are moments of epic space battles that are just so cool. And that's why I keep playing.

I completely agree with @Scott,
Life is full of ups and downs. Therefore our businesses also do same. Game development is a business and you (Bugbyte, AdmiralGeezer) were working on SectorSiege for a long time with great dedication. There are things to get lessons from downs and just move forward. Please do not get demoralized with any negative comments, especially from those who don't understand you but just bashing the game.

I also criticize the game at its current condition, there are things that I didn't enjoy much, however this doesn't mean I don't care the game and want its development.

I think Sector Siege is a success, but let's say if it is failure (Although I have Steam numbers, I don't know the sales volume of Google Store and iOS, I believe they are good), then you are fortunate that you have all the assets already, you are a talented team and skilled coders, you can just do better next time, until a better product is created than the previous. It is just right mix and formula to make the gameplay right. You have a great and dedicated community thanksfully, who are ready to contribute their opinion, discuss, criticize (not every criticism are bad) and all want goodness of the Bugbyte and get future great games.

About my Feedback (I mentioned some in Disappointed thread), there are things to improve/tweak or change dramatically in core Game Mechanics. There is a very sensitive balance, whether fixing them in the current Game, or releasing them in a seperate game.
I have experienced that, games who change their core Game mechanics dramatically after they are released are not doing well, because you won't be able to satisfy people who had liked the previous mechanics (or UI, or something else) people resist against the change who they get used to the old and loved. Therefore at this point, I kindly suggest, if you are going to improve the things, please release them in a seperate build, maybe under a Free DLC, which can be played in different game dynamics or mechanics. Also please don't hesitate to create different Battlevoid titles as well. Some titles will be good, some will be bad, some will be very famous. (But if you do this approach, please invest in Lore too, so people find relation between different titles)

I wish all the goodness for this game and its development team, I thank you for bringing us enjoyable games and worthwhile to discuss.

(11-07-2017, 10:46 PM)Farwest Wrote: I completely agree with @Scott,
Life is full of ups and downs. Therefore our businesses also do same. Game development is a business and you (Bugbyte, AdmiralGeezer) were working on SectorSiege for a long time with great dedication. There are things to get lessons from downs and just move forward. Please do not get demoralized with any negative comments, especially from those who don't understand you but just bashing the game.

I also criticize the game at its current condition, there are things that I didn't enjoy much, however this doesn't mean I don't care the game and want its development.

I think Sector Siege is a success, but let's say if it is failure (Although I have Steam numbers, I don't know the sales volume of Google Store and iOS, I believe they are good), then you are fortunate that you have all the assets already, you are a talented team and skilled coders, you can just do better next time, until a better product is created than the previous. It is just right mix and formula to make the gameplay right. You have a great and dedicated community thanksfully, who are ready to contribute their opinion, discuss, criticize (not every criticism are bad) and all want goodness of the Bugbyte and get future great games.

About my Feedback (I mentioned some in Disappointed thread), there are things to improve/tweak or change dramatically in core Game Mechanics. There is a very sensitive balance, whether fixing them in the current Game, or releasing them in a seperate game.
I have experienced that, games who change their core Game mechanics dramatically after they are released are not doing well, because you won't be able to satisfy people who had liked the previous mechanics (or UI, or something else) people resist against the change who they get used to the old and loved. Therefore at this point, I kindly suggest, if you are going to improve the things, please release them in a seperate build, maybe under a Free DLC, which can be played in different game dynamics or mechanics. Also please don't hesitate to create different Battlevoid titles as well. Some titles will be good, some will be bad, some will be very famous. (But if you do this approach, please invest in Lore too, so people find relation between different titles)

I wish all the goodness for this game and its development team, I thank you for bringing us enjoyable games and worthwhile to discuss.

Wow what a fantastic review. I quite agree with what's being said. I really like the idea of next episode and more lore, because I never think its enough. It's also good way to stabilise revenue. Smile

@Scott. You make a good point! I was already very exhausted by the time we released the game so it was hard to keep it all together when it didn't go quite as well as we'd hoped. Balancing is incredibly hard, and there are such a vast range of different players so it's hard to get it right for all of them.

@Farwest. You hit it spot on with changing the game too much with an update. Players are already accustomed to the core and then suddenly a change can feel like ruining it, even if the intention was good Smile This happened with the big update to Harbinger, but luckily it was not many players that felt so back then.

I will try to find ways to improve the game without ruining it Smile

Ready to beta testing.

I really like Battlevoid Sector Siege and bought it the same day as it came out for PC. 
For a Single-Developer-Game this is very successful! 
The translation may be better for german (maybe other languages too I think). But a developer however can not speak all Languages. 
So I would think about helping for the translations into german language! @AdmiralGeezer maybe you can contact me. 
I also think that Sector Siege has much potential to grow to one of the biggest games in this price category! 
Ya that's all

Hey there, just wanted to chime in w/ some support but also some feedback. Sector Siege is not a bad game - it's quite a bit of fun. The problem is that it quickly feels repetitive (to me) - each mission is basically the same thing, over and over again, and there's no real feeling of progression. The nice thing about Harbinger was that there was some feeling of progression; as you built up your fleet you'd get to take it with you to the next level, so you were always building up to something bigger. With Sector Siege it has the potential to have all of that sort of progression - a map you move from section to section on, a research tree, unlockable elements - but every time you move on to a new sector everything (except for the unlockables) is reset. I spent all of that time researching photon cannons or nukes or this or that, and now I'm back to researching the initial upgrade to shields again.

I'm not a game designer; I don't know the best way to allow for some carry-over while still giving things to do each mission, but I'd suggest some sort of perpetual research and economy (i.e. each conquered sector could provide ongoing money and research points, and maybe you could bring one or two researched elements forward with each conquered sector, and in exchange the time/ cost for research and upgrades could be increased and the difficulty of new sectors could ramp more quickly - this way you'd _need_ the benefits you got from conquering old sectors in order to succeed at new ones, and you'd have a feeling of making progress and getting more powerful with each new sector).

Anyways, thanks for the efforts - all of the games you have put out have been fun and I've enjoyed them. I do feel like Sector Siege feels incomplete - but some sort of enhancement to the campaign mode where there's more progression (see my comments above) would go a long way towards fixing that.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 02:20 PM by Robhampton04.)

Love the game! Combining aspects of first contact and Harbinger was awesome. Was hoping more emphasis would be put on ships and stations that would carry over with you as you progressed. Losing a ship or station should hurt the overall campaign success. No doubt though, the game is really good as is and will continue to improve. Thank you for the privaledge of allowing me to beta test the game. Looking forward to testing Haven.

The game is great! Obviously it will need some fine tuning. I find that defending is extremely difficult even on easy. Anyway, thanks for all the hard work!

Thank you for the work you put into Sector Siege. Making a living as an Indie developer is no easy feat! Since I do not have the talent to develop games, I will do one of the things I do best- enjoy someone else's games. In this case, yours in particular. From your letter, you clearly show us a main reason we committed to your launch campaign. You are passionate about games. You are passionate about listening to your fans. I have only purchased 2 games in the last 5 years on launch day, one of them being Sector Siege. I enjoy this game and am excited that you will continue to make this game better! As you grow, please remember this: your fans will communicate harshly sometimes. We forget there are people on the other end of the keyboard cable. These people have passion, ideas, feelings, and real lives. As a company, you have the obligation to listen to listen to your fans. If you do not, your company is at risk of tanking. We as a fan base have the obligation to critique the product while being kind to the people who create it. People can be ugly and cruel. Remember to separate the cruel feedback from the honest critique. Those who critique tend to be the ones who want to love your brainchild. This is worth celebrating at the end of the day as you turn out the office lights and lock the doors. Keep up the good work!