question regarding grow beds

Hey there,
the search function wouldnt supply me with a result so I ask my question here.

In quite some content on the game I see grow beds without the cover.
How can this be achieved? When is the cover removed?

And does it make sense to have grow beds in a single room with an air-lock as an entrance to device its atmosphere from the rest of the ship?

Thanks in advance
Karl

is that recent content? im guessing they updated the graphic for them in one of the patches. (total speculation on my part, i started playing at the steam early access)

i tried to separate the grow beds in their own room with CO2 producer, and therm regulator set to higher temp. did not notice any difference. so far the only things that i've seen numerically increase the growth rate (never saw it go above 100%) is botany skill and getting attended (unattended ones get cut to 50%).
so i removed the separator. wearing spacesuits while they work lowers worker efficiency and increases discomfort.
i tried a similar thing with my factory machines, but again didn't seem worth it, temp does not go up much and 1 gas scrubber takes emissions to 0 quickly.

on another note, a Reddit user mentioned power and water savings by keeping temp and oxygen in only a small living section of the ship and having the rest of the ship require spacesuits.
dont know if its worth it, but from a roleplay prespective, that would be one depressing ship to live on.

I see.
Thanks a lot Smile

The graphics were updated =)

(05-28-2020, 05:23 PM)darrengray9 Wrote: i tried to separate the grow beds in their own room with CO2 producer, and therm regulator set to higher temp. did not notice any difference. so far the only things that i've seen numerically increase the growth rate (never saw it go above 100%) is botany skill and getting attended (unattended ones get cut to 50%).
so i removed the separator. wearing spacesuits while they work lowers worker efficiency and increases discomfort.

I may need to amend my statement above.
after I opened up my greenhouse and removed the co2 produced I started having issues maintaining food supply.
after a while of not being able to catch back up i simply closed the door vents to the room and added a co2 producer.
the conditions are not bad enough to warrent a space suit. (plants are making some oxygen and co2 is not very high)
my stock seems to be coming back up now, so while numerically I don't see anything in the tooltips that suggest the rate has increased, it seems to have increased.

could a developer weigh in? are the numbers just not showing but the growth rate is affected by temp and co2 presence? or is it my imagination. if the they do affect it, could you update the groth rate number to match bonus from conditions?

I always put it in a room with normal doors and a CO2 producer.... they seem to grow fine and fast enuf, except meat... i had to make like 3 grow beds for 2 plants with meat only to get a little surpluss on meat, tomatoes and vegetables are just going skyrocketting up up and away!!.... Got loads extra now for selling, makes life easier Tongue But ya, haven't seen growbeds without tops, always glass top over it... have the 0.18.1? version on steam, the 1 that fixed the heating or energy sign on machines from staying up or sumthing... So no idea if steam is behind on other builds out there that don't go via steam or so?