Reviews and Balance Issues: Red Hardpoint Modules

Your remark on my experience may not be entirely off the mark, but it does not mean I cannot possibly know what I am talking about. How much I've played the game should be mostly irrelevant if I am strictly using numbers to identify potential imbalances (like the laser's upgrades: costing a total of 288 points while only giving a measly 10 dps, I would think that qualifies as an imbalance).

Regardless, I think my observations are valid, and I will still argue the projectile cannon is a very job specific weapon because of its slow rof and terrible shield damage. As far as I know, there's no long range shield killer so using it for sniping is also out of the question. A max burst energy cannon doubles as anti-missile and fighter because of its spread and amount of orbs fired. Lightly upgraded it also has similar (although admittedly less) hull dps for early game fittings. If there's only 1 energy cannon on the ship it is very easy for its fire to be blocked by a fighter or missle, allowing the opponent's shields to recharge. There is also almost no advantage that I can see to having a mid-range outfit: almost all of the powerful weapons type can reach the player while most of the cheap and easily accessible high dps weapons available to the player are shorter range. Although that changes once higher grade weapons become available.

I have found Teleport to be immensely useful for short range outfits in certain circumstances, one common example is warping in too far away from a dangerous enemy deathray/nuke ship, there is usually no time to get within range before warp recharges or the players ship is destroyed.

In regards to the lasers, I merely compiled the numbers and noted that it is entirely possible to cheaply beat the easy difficulty (more scrap means more points in the end) and save upgrade points on normal in the early game.

The purpose of my reviews will be to analyze the specific costs and benefits each weapon has. My task would be made much easier if people could contribute to the discussion in a similar fashion. Discussion as to the appropriate uses of each is secondary and i hope my notes would reflect as much.

Messages In This Thread
Reviews and Balance Issues: Red Hardpoint Modules - by HugoBSH - 03-23-2016, 11:38 PM