Battlevoid: Sector Siege updated! Version 1.42 out now.

[Image: 8xBqlt2.jpg]

Greetings!

Hope everyone has had a good start on 2018. We've been churning on here at Bugbyte and I decided to make more stuff for Sector Siege! This time it's a new research tree with hangar related improvements.

I made a research tree with:
  •    
  • Hangar build speed improvement 10%

• Hangar build speed improvement 20%

• Fighter Capture Ray - This laser ray will instantly hack the computer of any enemy fighter, make it attack all your enemies for 30 seconds and then self-destruct.

• Squad size improvement to 2 for all bomber hangars - This will make your bomber hangars able to launch out 2 bomber units at a time from one hangar instead of just 1. This tech is practically a huge boost to your firepower when combined with many bomber hangars.
Hope you enjoy the new content!

(01-24-2018, 11:55 AM)AdmiralGeezer Wrote: [Image: 8xBqlt2.jpg]

Greetings!

Hope everyone has had a good start on 2018. We've been churning on here at Bugbyte and I decided to make more stuff for Sector Siege! This time it's a new research tree with hangar related improvements.

I made a research tree with:
  •    
  • Hangar build speed improvement 10%

• Hangar build speed improvement 20%

• Fighter Capture Ray - This laser ray will instantly hack the computer of any enemy fighter, make it attack all your enemies for 30 seconds and then self-destruct.

• Squad size improvement to 2 for all bomber hangars - This will make your bomber hangars able to launch out 2 bomber units at a time from one hangar instead of just 1. This tech is practically a huge boost to your firepower when combined with many bomber hangars.
Hope you enjoy the new content!

Sounds good I have to say considering the nature of the research system perhaps it would be a good idea to retire some of the existing items to the standard equipment list and reorganize the trees to be more efficient and tactically enjoyable.

I have been playing with this update and I was pleasantly surprised.

The first two build speed techs are quite useful. Many times if you are going with a turbo-fighter approach you generally do not have much to research after picking up the first Visibility upgrade. I usually grab a Speed and Armor upgrade, then get around to picking up Orb or some weapon before getting the next two Visibility boosts.
This new tree gives me something more useful and just something more specific to research and use which is nice.

I really expected the Capture Ray to suck badly. I love the idea, but its Tier 3 and takes a Red gun slot and does absolutely nothing most of the time. Thus, it needs to be extremely powerful in its niche situation to be worthwhile.
Looking at it, its 700 range max (meh), VERY pricey and 6 second cooldown.

However, it turns out that it is an excellent weapon when you are relying heavily on fighters/bombers! The best way to help your fighters win is to take out enemy fighters. This has historically been challenging to do. Lasers work but are too weak to 1 shot anything. DeathRay/MegaLaser are tier 4. Plasma Eclipse is the best at it with its big AOE and 40 damage, but takes a lot of research including 2 items you won't use.
But this weapon is on the same tech tree and does the job really well, snagging enemy fighters and turning them...not only helping your fighters deal with the main threat, but also bulking up your force at the same time.

I still think the weapon could use a cost reduction and/or probably another +100 range. The issue is that it tends to compete with many of your other guns. With 800 range max, it could snipe fighters before your other weapons go off. But its a great addition!

Not sure about the Hanger Bomber boost yet. Bombers are pretty bad for the most part, so I just cannot see any situation where one would use bombers and then try to hold out for a long long time until this research is complete, so their bombers will be decent. Maybe using missile bonbers would work out as they are the best option, but they are too pricey to be able to get up and running quickly at Hard/Legend.
Alternatively you would not want to either ignore 25 pilots for most of the game until you were set up... nor would you want to dump upgraded fighters in exchange for bombers.
I'll have to experiment some more with that one.

Anyways, appreciate the update!

I use missle bombers exclusively and in numbers they really put the hurt on ships the double up helps but being tier 4 you can get on without it. that said it does make for a nasty counter to late game unknown

Yeah I take it back. The missile bombers strategy is a bit slow to ramp, but it does work quite well. The 2x bombers really makes the build powerful and carries the game easily! Just the small matter of surviving till you get there, but its doable even with just 1 captured world.
I got unlucky and a beacon pulled in a ship which took the node right next to my battlestation and then fortified it. But I was still able to win (on legend) by turtling with 1 node and using missile bombers.