Extended Edition Android Beta Test and Feedback!

Formations still irritate me. Largely, the problem is that formation isn't something that I fret over. Facing is what I fret over. 90% of my concern for mobility is the ability to face my point defense toward missile and rocket fire. However, when I turn my flagship to the right, even if my formation is a short line with the flagship at the center, clustered tight as possible, the right-hand wingman will turn his ass toward the enemy trying to stay in formation with the flagship.

Don't get me wrong, formation cohesion is improved by it, but the core problem of unexpected manuevering remains. I still maintain that the best way to handle this would be to give ships some manuevering power. Instead of having them turn 180 degrees to move three feet back, let them 'strafe' into position when they only need to move a short distance. In transit to a new location, have them aim directly for their final location based on the facing of the flagship and its -final- location. Have ships cut speed if needed to pace the flagship, and 'nudge' themselves into position based on the flagship's CURRENT location.

This would have ships orient their facing according to their final destination immediately.

For short distances - such as turning a formation 90 degrees, usually a shift of no more than a ship's own length or two, they would immediately assume their final facing - presenting their PD to the enemy - and strafe more slowly to assume proper formation.

For long distances, this would eliminating turning AWAY from the final destination to maintain current formation. Instead ships would bear on their final destination, and manuevering would nudge them backwards to slow them a little until they assumed their position in the formation.

It would also avoid the previous problem of weak, fast ships outstripping much stronger, slower ships en route to a destination - unless the faster ship is the flagship, then you're kinda hosed. Buy a more durable, slower ship, and put an escape pod on the flagship.

Messages In This Thread
Extended Edition Android Beta Test and Feedback! - by Lurkily - 12-06-2015, 03:25 AM