Bugbyte presents... Space Haven!
Welcome to the very first development blog post! It is my pleasure to announce that we have started on a new game and we want to take you with us on this journey. We are going to show you step-by-step of how this new game comes alive! We have worked around 2 months on our new game now, and we are in a stage where we are prototyping and developing the game further based on what we feel we need. It is mostly about functions now, adding features to our game editor so that we can use the tool to create content in the future.
(Credit to Nvision Illustration for the placeholder spider enemy )
What is Space Haven?
Current idea (NOTE! A LOT MIGHT CHANGE, IT'S PART OF THIS PROCESS): Game where you start with 1 crew member, the original. You start cloning him to create more crew members. The game is a mix of survival base building and defense buildings against enemy attacks. You have to build certain rooms to get oxygen, food and other resources required to live and build. You build turrets and train fighter clones to fend off enemies.
Wow! That sounds so cool, when do you think this game will be ready?
We are looking at something between 12-24 months. The reason we are making this blog is to demonstrate the massive amount of work that goes into making a new game. To show how this game comes alive from beginning to end. At the same time we want to hear your feedback, it has served us well in the past with Battlestation: Harbinger.
Above you can see a small clip of what we have now. It's an isometric game, and it looks great already. At least we think so, do you agree? Keep in mind this is only after 2 months of development, so the game is still in very early stages. It's impossible to say how long this project will take to complete, but it will definitely be over 12 months.
How we started the project:
- Around 1-2 months of planning and discussions of what kind of a game we would like to create. Yes we discussed for weeks!
- Deciding that it would be an isometric game, something completely new to us.
- Starting to develop the game editor, which will be the main tool for all of us to add content to the game. This includes everything, characters, turrets, walls, rooms, chairs etc.
- Our graphic designer Matti has been creating graphics for over a month now.
- First things that we made: A character and walking animation for him, floor tiles, simple walls.
- Using the above assets we created our first visible prototype, where a character was walking on some floor.
- Now we have added more animations and a lot more objects, path finding for the characters. We use a certain algorithm to calculate and find paths quickly.
What you see in this post is the result out of all of these tasks and more.
Note! This game is in a prototype stage, meaning the content might change drastically. We just want to show you how this game comes alive from beginning to end, we want to show all the new features that come into the game. Keep in mind that we might add features and then take them away, creating a good game is a complicated creative process, involving a lot of "try and see" type of testing. At least for us.
Whatever dreams these clips and images produce for you, tell us here in the forums! You have given us great feature ideas before and I'm sure you will come up with great stuff again We cannot promise that any feature is implemented but we always want to hear your feedback.
If you are not yet registered to our community:
If you previously have registered an account at battlestation.fi: You can use the same account! If you don't remember your login credentials you can use this form to get them: Lost my password