Disappointed ...

IceFrog, I agree that most of the higher tier research items are rather lacking. I whined about the worthless midtier ships that you get as a reward for tier 4 research many times. The photon bombers are very bad relative to their tier. Megalaser and the entire tree other than Orb is near useless.
That said, Gatling fighters are very strong. Missile bombers are solid. Nukes are game changers and Plasma Eclipse is pretty decent. The various shield/armor/speed/vision upgrades are worthwhile. So I do see a point in having the research system.

I like your ideas about possibly being able to unlock a few of them permanently with XP. That does give a nice sense of progression and more to do with your XP. Good idea!

----

I am very curious about Farwest comments though. Can anyone name ANY Realtime Strategy game ever, that does not have you "reinvent the wheel" on each map? Lots of games have permanent unlocks, but they always have "upgrades" or "tech" or combining, or gathering orbs, or whatever. Some kind of scheme where one must start with basic troops/tower/etc and then tech up over time. I just cannot think of a single relatively popular such game without such a mechanic.

Heck, I agreed with 6 out of 7 of his points. I guess he is a very important Marketing Exec and isn't used to anyone disagreeing. :-)

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017, 12:44 AM by Farwest.)

(10-30-2017, 10:31 PM)joe1512 Wrote: I am very curious about Farwest comments though.  Can anyone name ANY Realtime Strategy game ever, that does not have you "reinvent the wheel" on each map? 
I just cannot think of a single relatively popular such game without such a mechanic.

It seems you haven't played Strategy games much and you confuse this genre as RTS only. This game has a Grand Strategy Map with nodes (sectors) each proving RTS scenes seperately. This is 4X game at the moment. Have you ever played any Totalwar game? Probably you haven't, it is a famous example, just check please. In that game series, you have a large Strategy Map (like we have in Sector Siege), you research your tech, then when you enter any battle, you fight with the tech you developed. You don't reinvent the wheel. 
For instance if you play Empire Totalwar, let's say when you research your flintlock muskets tech in turn 50, in battles after turn 50, you can start to recruit better muskeeters with their new guns. 

Another example? Cool. Any 4X game (especially with seperate battles in seperate scenes to give you exact answer). Endless Space? Stellaris? Galactic Civilizations?
More titles outside Space-theme? Cool. Endless Legend, any Civilization or XCOM series, etc. In all these games, you develop your Starship or Soldiers or Fantasy units by researching tech in Campaign Map, then you start to recruit new units with those tech. 

Probably you haven't played none of these famous titles, but stuck to good-old C&C only maybe. It is good, this is your first 4X title, if you liked 4X, there are plenty more for you to try now.

In summary, this is not niche and I can name you countless games, where you research something and progress with those research in future battles throughout the campaign without reinventing the wheel.

(10-30-2017, 10:31 PM)joe1512 Wrote: Heck, I agreed with 6 out of 7 of his points.  I guess he is a very important Marketing Exec and isn't used to anyone disagreeing. :-)

I don't need to agree on your points which I already mentioned. It would be silly double confirming myself. And I am free to not agree with almost none of your comments over my comments.

Alright let's mind our own business and focus to thread instead of discussing small subjects. If we respect to each other and other opinions since the beginning, we don't discuss all these.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017, 08:52 AM by Sayanel.)

This thread begin to be outsubject, I wanna recenter this topic because if we let it go we ll obtain nothing of it, what you say guys is really interesting agree or not, but that’s not the point, we are going a bit too far =P
I ll try to be short again and sum up the idea again so :

1. Create a queue for research system during a round, and getting a sort of notifications to know when one is over, so the player could know his spike power

2. Suppress those advanced technologies in research tree (not in the unlockable of course) to make them available at the beginning of the round. Advanced technologies mean more powerful so more expensive. The Objective is to create diversity especially at the beginning of a round.

3. Buy multiple auxiliary at the same time

4. Change the repair system
               Allow repair only on point that you own
               Decrease the cost of reparation
               Suppress the need of upgrade point needed to it
               Increase duration  
               Increase damage taken during reparation
               Introduce partial repair, repair what you can with what you have

5. Create different back ground

6. Marines but everyone knows that point

7. Hangar are quite powerful don’t you think a cost each time you repop a drone ? for example 10 (or 1%) according to the price of the drone himself. Their cost is low for their utility, especially harassing.

Please try to focus on those, I add some of your idea Farwest.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2017, 10:04 AM by AdmiralGeezer.)

I'm following this discussion and taking notes. I will focus my time on adding features that seem to be most asked for and is possible to do without a huge amount of work. Replenishing marines have been one of those, and I have created a unit "BSE MarineClone" that will clone marines and replenish units that are nearby. This will hopefully make a strategy based on marines more appealing and viable.

Additionally the BSE Trademark will be added too, everybody keeps asking for that ship Smile

Anyway, feel free to continue writing your thoughts. I will do my best to improve the game.

(10-31-2017, 10:03 AM)AdmiralGeezer Wrote: I'm following this discussion and taking notes. I will focus my time on adding features that seem to be most asked for and is possible to do without a huge amount of work. Replenishing marines have been one of those, and I have created a unit "BSE MarineClone" that will clone marines and replenish units that are nearby. This will hopefully make a strategy based on marines more appealing and viable.

Additionally the BSE Trademark will be added too, everybody keeps asking for that ship Smile

Anyway, feel free to continue writing your thoughts. I will do my best to improve the game.

BSE trademark was an iconic ship that propelled you until a new series called battlevoid and I love that ship female actor names but having for hangers on a semi battleship is pretty freaking awesome it's more like a heavy carrier I just wondering what are the cost going to be for it but I'm so glad that you guys are adding it and I'm looking forward to any future update you guys come out with I'm also going to buy the steam version when I get a chance even though and it cost me $498 to get my computer fixed but still going to buy the steam version because I want to support you even further and I just want to thank you guys for all the Blood Sweat and Tears and money and lack of sleep that you poured into this great product and I can't wait to see what the future holds

I am curious why people want the Trademark ship in this game? It is basically a Harbinger with an extra gun port and heavier armor and shields. While I love Trademark in Harbinger, this is a totally different game.
Has anyone actually had success at higher difficulty levels using the multi-bay ships such as Harbinger and the CloudWhatever? Or even the Overseer?

I personally have found ships with multiple bays to be completely worthless, in particular the larger and more expensive ones. Only 1 bay is needed for marines of course. By the time you can afford stuff like Harbinger or Trademark, you would already be at max # of bays by going with a station-based approach.

I have found very little advantage in having fighters stay local (Defensive), vs letting them roam when using a 12 bay strategy.
If I am not going with 25 pilots, then I can use the slots for say Plasma Bombers or Laser Drones, but in most cases I'd rather just have an extra gun slot.

One thing you will discover is that strategies which are great on Easy, don't work so good later on. :-) I had quite a bit of adapting to do during my playtime. Beating Legend was no joke!

-------

As for your suggestions,

Queue for research sounds like a great idea! And easy to implement hopefully.

Ability to use XP to buy "Mastery" for each tech type to have the first tier auto-unlocked could be a good way to add game progression.

Would be nice to Perma-Save ship designs although I can see that as a problem with foreign ships. (stuff u captured and saved).
Adding multiple guns of 1 type at once seems easy and worthwhile.

I would not mind seeing repair modified a bit. Remember however that your battlestation repairs for FREE, although slowly. If repairs were limited to friendly nodes (which makes sense), I'd expect the cost to decrease significantly.

@joe1512, people will always like more variety, sometimes just for art. So this is the case for Trademark ship. Having 1-2 Badass ships in all the game would be very boring, right? So more variety, having need to swtich to other ships for different situations are always nicer.

Yes I agree that, there should be some repair ability on nodes (by a module purchase maybe, like a Repair Turret or Repairer Ship). Therefore, nodes get more strategical value, especially when your fleet is inside a pocket while enemy surrounds you, so you can still have some ground to defend your territory and resist. Same for Enemy AI of course.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 08:48 PM by Farwest.)

I am reading negative reviews on Steam, I think there are many valid points mentioned (and everybody want to play Sector Siege, just there are issues). In addition, it is surprising almost nobody talks about refilling marines or similar things, but people mainly complain about things that are affecting the core game mechanics and gameplay directly.

it is obvious folks loved Harbinger so much without exception (Almost all buyers come from Harbinger too). But I think the problem is not "Harbinger was Adventure-RTS, this is 4X-RTS" but is implementation of the 4X-RTS. I also stopped playing the Sector Siege after the first a few days, but I remember I had played Harbinger for at least 3 weeks without stop.
I am still hopeful these problems can be fixed. I wrote this message as a summary of the negative Steam reviews, which they consist almost half of the total reviews at the moment. (will possibly prevent future purchases unfortunately)

(11-01-2017, 03:19 PM)joe1512 Wrote: I am curious why people want the Trademark ship in this game?   It is basically a Harbinger with an extra gun port and heavier armor and shields.  While I love Trademark in Harbinger, this is a totally different game.
Has anyone actually had success at higher difficulty levels using the multi-bay ships such as Harbinger and the CloudWhatever? Or even the Overseer?

I personally have found ships with multiple bays to be completely worthless, in particular the larger and more expensive ones.  Only 1 bay is needed for marines of course.  By the time you can afford stuff like Harbinger or Trademark, you would already be at max # of bays by going with a station-based approach.

I have found very little advantage in having fighters stay local (Defensive), vs letting them roam when using a 12 bay strategy.
If I am not going with 25 pilots, then I can use the slots for say Plasma Bombers or Laser Drones, but in most cases I'd rather just have an extra gun slot.

One thing you will discover is that strategies which are great on Easy, don't work so good later on. :-)    I had quite a bit of adapting to do during my playtime.  Beating Legend was no joke!

-------

As for your suggestions,

Queue for research sounds like a great idea!  And easy to implement hopefully.

Ability to use XP to buy "Mastery" for each tech type to have the first tier auto-unlocked could be a good way to add game progression.

Would be nice to Perma-Save ship designs although I can see that as a problem with foreign ships. (stuff u captured and saved).
Adding multiple guns of 1 type at once seems easy and worthwhile.

I would not mind seeing repair modified a bit.  Remember however that your battlestation repairs for FREE, although slowly.  If repairs were limited to friendly nodes (which makes sense), I'd expect the cost to decrease significantly.

You said you were curious to why people wanted the BSE trademark in the game cuz if you know the lord of the game you would realize that this game wasn't always called that avoid it was called Battle Stations but bug bite got a copyright claim so they had to change the name and the BSE trademark was the ship that was added to the game to Mark the name changing to the game to battlevoid that's why we wanted in the game the ship is Iconic with the changing of the name from Battle Stations to battlevoid see if you knew the lore of this game like I did that's why we want the BSE trademark in sector Siege

I've played since First Contact so I am aware of the lore. Trademark was a fun way to make a scathing commentary about lawyer-ese and the BS that some companies pull. It is also hugely powerful.

So yeah, I guess I underestimate that pull. I was just saying that the ship itself even with a good translation just isnt very effective in this game.
Kind of a moot point, since he already implemented it! And it is a strong implementation too. So now I am just curious if anyone's been successful using it in Hard or Legend, and how.