Questions

@AdmiralGeezer Sweet, I'll check that out!

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 12:24 PM by Blacknet.)

Hi, I just found out about this game from a post on the Stellaris FB group and I'm hyped!

One detail was bothering me though - why do you use such a basic, aliased and imho ugly font in the game? It makes me feel like the game was made in the 90s. Are there any plans to change it? You have such a nice font on the website. And if you're not going to change it, please at least do something about the aliasing of the font, even that would improve it a lot.

EDIT: Nvm about the aliasing. It seems it's aliased only in some of the material on the website. In some it's nice a smooth. But a nicer font would still be good.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 12:28 PM by AdmiralGeezer.)

Hi there!

Which font are you talking about? The video is merely 1280x720 resolution, and at least for me the quality of the video fluctuates, when that happens the fonts look blurry immediately.
Everything in-game is sharp. Fonts can be changed though, although they are not always trivial to choose.

[Image: derelictShipEnemy.png]

Do you mean the font above the characters?

(09-14-2018, 12:26 PM)AdmiralGeezer Wrote: Hi there!

Which font are you talking...

Yeah, I was talking about the names above the characters, sorry for not specifying. The rest of the UI looks good Smile

Since you're using a few different fonts, I must suspect that even this one was chosen for a reason. Is there truly no better choice?

Ok. I asked my guys about it and it's just a placeholder font that has been left there. We will look into changing it now Smile Thanks for pointing it out. It's not always easy to see what's left placeholder
when you've been grinding years on something. Still ways to go!

(03-13-2017, 09:22 AM)AdmiralGeezer Wrote: Hey!

Decks would be possible in a way, but we might refrain from having them. It becomes hard to let the player know what
is going on, on each deck.

For example: If things are frantic on many decks, how does the player shift through them easily and give orders?

Even though going by the assumption that the players are complete idiots usually helps sales, i don't think it is a smart move if we are talking about small indiegame. We can assume they are made from sterner stuff.
There is no problem with Z-axis on dwarf fortress, so i would not think there would be any in this one either. More freedom and possibilities for micromanagement is always welcome.

(01-14-2019, 01:09 PM)Kerosene Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 09:22 AM)AdmiralGeezer Wrote: Hey!

Decks would be possible in a way, but we might refrain from having them. It becomes hard to let the player know what
is going on, on each deck.

For example: If things are frantic on many decks, how does the player shift through them easily and give orders?

Even though going by the assumption that the players are complete idiots usually helps sales, i don't think it is a smart move if we are talking about small indiegame. We can assume they are made from sterner stuff.
There is no problem with Z-axis on dwarf fortress, so i would not think there would be any in this one either. More freedom and possibilities for micromanagement is always welcome.

I meant the user interface, but yes it would probably be possible and have benefits. It is going to be only 1 level though, it's how we built the architecture of the game and also ship-to-ship combat would be problematic with multiple levels. Especially when we still want the possibility to combine ship-to-ship combat with crew combat. On multiple levels set-up you would have your crew fighting on different levels and then fires, explosions etc happening on others. Combine this with having to pan between different ships/station and it would become way too much to keep track of.

How many hours do you expect an average run will take?

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM by AdmiralGeezer.)

That's very open still. Also planning an endless mode and a bunch of stuff so, could vary a lot. 4 - 5 hours? Could be much more, depends a lot on how one plays too.

What do the green and yellow numbers mean at the energy network view?