new crew members

hi,
am wondering what peoples experience has been being able to acquire new additional crew members.
I was exited about that potential, but so far I have almost finished the first start system and have not seen any opportunities.
is it more of mid/late game thing? or totally random?

let us know how/when you got someone new.
thanks!

(05-28-2020, 04:40 AM)darrengray9 Wrote: hi,
am wondering what peoples experience has been being able to acquire new additional crew members.
I was exited about that potential, but so far I have almost finished the first start system and have not seen any opportunities.
is it more of mid/late game thing? or totally random?

let us know how/when you got someone new.
thanks!

I'm not sure if it was in the first star system or the second, but I found a fifth crew member in a stasis pod in my first (serious) play through. I haven't yet found a sixth, and I'm... not sure what system I'm in, fifth or sixth, I think? I think it's RNG, and it's a low probability.

from reading some posts on Reddit, it seems most people get their new recruits by capturing pirate crews and converting them.
so far i've had a pretty harsh stance of "pirates are scum and need to die", but i guess its possible some of their crew members were captured, and joined them only to not be killed. i'd be liberating them and returning them to an honest life. (yes, i can work with that)
on a side not, it would be nice if pirate, or especially slaver ships could contain prisoners that you can rescue and have join your crew. (maybe they can, i've only ran across 1 pirate ship so far, just got to the second system today)

You can find them aboard derelict ships in hypersleep chambers, or by creating a prison on your ship and then taking some captive from another faction. They can be converted with time. If they are more comfortable in your prison they will have a higher chance of being converted =)

I got my 5th crew member in my 3rd star system; really need to work on a prison and capturing people because I'm definitely under crewed to be running 2 ships (I picked up a second ship in my second star system)
S-006

I can't capture pirates.... they usually have a lot more crewmembers than me and not all my crewmembers are 3 at weapons... so i just kill the ship and wait till they all die off so i can loot it... only found 1 crew member in a cryostasis/hyperstasis?? pod on 1 of my runs but the run i am doing now, i haven't found 1... to be honest, they should up the chance of at least finding a first 1 early on, could really use a 6th... i could also change the settings and start with a 10 man crew but that's pretty hard from the start due to not having enuf space for food manufactering on ur ship and takes a whole lot more water if u do go for food..... Which is pretty hard to come by sumtimes... So ya... i guess that after the first system u should find 1 in the second system so u can have a 6th member (or 5th depending on ur start) and be ready for that extra member in the form of food and water. And than maybe make it more RNG based.... Been traversing like 4 or 5 systems now and haven't found my 6th member yet... still searching, going just for mining and quickly scouting derelicts, not scrapping them unless i need a bit extra, but speedrunning through derelicts right now, searching for that crewmember i want Tongue

a tip someone else shared that has helped me fight pirates is to equip your 4 people with shotguns, deploy them from the shuttle to the airlock and leave them grouped up inside the airlock and wait.
the airlock is not destructible so it will provide some cover for your team and they shoot a spread of shots from their shotguns when the pirates come to refill their oxygen.
depending on how many you want to capture, bring a second shuttle or make sure the 2 ships are close to each other. if you follow them across a few hyperspace jumps, deploy your ship right next to them.
you can see one of my other posts ( http://bugbyte.fi/forums/showthread.php?tid=624 ) but with 1 shuttle and a lot of distance between the 2 ships oxygen can become an issues to bringing back your prisoners alive.

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 05:33 PM by Jack Jammer.)

I've been using a pretty cheesy way to gain crew members from pirates. First step is to find a pirate ship and destroy it so it starts bleeding oxygen. Next since a scanner is a waste of resources and only works on powered ships, you pick a crew member with the highest surrender percentage. The higher the better because they'll give up before they start bleeding, so send them on over to get captured by the pirates. Then while they are captured you'll have vision inside their ship and can see when pirates come to try and fill up their O2 at the spacesuit locker where they hold the prisoners. Just wait around until you see them start to drop from a lack of oxygen, then board them right away. If you do it right most of the crew is incapacitated and you only have to get the ones still standing to surrender. I've gotten as many as 5 pirates as prisoners doing this, but it's hard to gauge so make a save before you send someone over to get captured.

A better way would be if we could just send more ppl in than that there r pirates... pirate ships usually all have 6 peeps on em, i can only send 4 peeps in... no chance of overwhelming forces.... I like to overwhelm my enemies with more forces than they have Tongue

Hypersleep chambers seem to be VERY rare. It's much easier to blow up a ship and steal their crew, just don't lose all your guys in the process.